Just under two hours after leaving Lima our flight lands in Puerto Maldonado. A further hour by bus and 45 minutes by boat and we arrive at the Amazonas Refugio Lodge in the jungle, just a few hundred yards trek from the Tambopata River. That evening our guide, Jair, takes us on a night walk where we encounter snakes, frogs, scorpions, leaf cutter ants and this Net-casting Spider, which catapults the web held between its front legs to capture its prey.
A Net-casting Spider waiting for unsuspecting pray to walk along this leaf
The following day, after being woken in the early hours by the impossibly loud calls of Howler Monkeys we hike through the forest in search of more wildlife. The humidity is so high that we are all sweating after just a few yards of walking. We can hear the wildlife everywhere but it seems impossible to spot without Jair. Who seems to be able to spot the smallest thing on the rainforest floor or high up in the canopy.
A Peruvian Chicken Spider (Tarantula) emerging from its burrow
A Red Howler Monkey, one of our noisy neighbours
Suddenly Jair stops in front of me and points at a white shape just visible through the foliage. He seems quite excited by this one. As I find what he is pointing at in my camera viewfinder my first impression is that the bird I see just doesn't look real. Is it some kind of practical joke the guides play on unsuspecting guests maybe? Actually it is a King Vulture and I do see it move, which dispels any thoughts that he has propped a stuffed penguin in the tree branch for a laugh.
A King Penguin Vulture
Further along the path Jair stops again and points out a less showy member of the family.
Greater Yellow-Headed Vulture
The day ends with a climb up a tall observation tower that reaches above the top of the jungle canopy. Five of our party of twelve do not actually make it all the way to the top of the structure, which sways more and more as we ascend, and have to return to terra firma.
A Double-Toothed Kite incubating two eggs, seen from the canopy observation tower
After watching the sun set below the tree canopy from the observation tower I walk back to the lodge after dark thinking how a place I have dreamed of visiting since I was a boy has exceeded all my expectations already and I still have tomorrow and the trip to see the Macaws at their clay lick.
Comments
Post a Comment